Hazard Mitigation and Climate Change
Pennsylvania Lake Erie Environmental Forum Series – Hazard Mitigation & Climate Change
This October 2022 forum featured hazard mitigation and climate resilience speakers and discussion. Climate change is already taking a toll in the Great Lakes region. Record breaking high temperatures and unpredictable extreme weather events have many cities around the Great Lakes preparing for future sustained impacts. These hazards present an opportunity to work together and create a future for people and nature to thrive. This webinar focused on what has been done and what is to come for cities around Lake Erie. Discussions focused on projects completed in Cleveland and Buffalo as well as plans for Erie. Climate migration was also a focus area.
- Welcome – Tim Bruno, Chief, Office of the Great Lakes, PA DEP, Amber Stilwell, Coastal Outreach Specialist, PA Sea Grant
- Great Lakes Updates – Tim Bruno
- Climate Change Hazard Mitigation & Climate Change Induced Migration – Nicholas Rajkovich, University of Buffalo and Terry Schwarz, Cleveland Urban Design Collaborative, Kent State University
- Hazard Mitigation in Erie, PA – Sara Stahlman, Pennsylvania Sea Grant and Jeffrey Harvey, JH Consulting
- Closing and Adjournment, Public Comment – Tim Bruno and Amber Stilwell